Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Babe Ruth World Series Bat Boy

This year Van Buren was host to the 15yr. old Babe Ruth World Series! Hayes was excited with that alone, then we received a phone call asking if he wanted to be a bat boy for one of the teams. He was just ecstatic! Of course, this meant lots of obligations & commitments...it was due to start the first week of school! He was required to be at all the practices, games, & social events...did I say required?...because for him that meant getting out of school and getting to hang out with these awesome players! So, I guess that it was more of an issue for me getting him to all these events. Well, let me just say, I'd do it all over again if given the opportunity. We got to know those boys on a first name (or last name) basis and all their parents as well. We loved going to every event. They treated Hayes like a little brother and there were many times my eyes welled up in tears just over the pure joy it brought to him and how proud I was that he got to be a part of it! This was definitely a highlight in his life that he'll never forget! This was always sweet to watch...the players removing their hats and saying the pledge...and standing right there with them- my precious son! He watched so much more intently than even at his own games-Most of you know, getting Hayes to smile for my camera isn't usually on his list of favorites, but he never stopped smiling, so it was quite easy! In fact, I took over 100 pics during the course of the 2 weeks, so I'm having trouble trying to narrow down my faves, but here goes....Brogan was also a bat boy for Hayes' team. They have played ball together for years...This sign says it all- PRICELESS!Our team was from Brazoswood, TX. They made it to the finals, but got 2nd place in the end! They were a great group of boys!We pretty much lived at the ballfields for those 2 wks... when Hayes didn't have an event, we'd go watch the other teams (as did 1/2 of V.B.)
A friend of ours, Trevor Harris, was bat boy for another team- from behind you'd think they were brothers...
I can't fail to mention that it was an obligation & honor for the whole family. The girls were at all the events as well and Matt was there any time he wasn't working. Most our meals on those days were from the concession stand....but, I never heard one complaint from that aspect.Kamryn would get antsy in the stands, so we'd walk around or go to the fence to see her "bubby"...at one point I look over and there she laid with her blankie-Makena was happy as long as she had a snack in her hand!Hannah enjoyed it as well and was a great help chasing after Kamryn while I took pics!Kamryn & Camden in his grandfather's gator...just one more way to entertain them.Hayes got all the players to sign a World Series bat that now sits on his shelf...Team pictureThis is how the boys were treated constantly!.... When they announced the team, they also announced the bat boys...they'd run through the line and high five or knuckle all the players. The players made a great event one we'll never forget!
Way to go, Brazoswood!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Photos! you know i can't get enough! Christal

Angie said...

What a great opportunity!