Monday, September 10, 2007

Sisters...

There's not a day that goes by that Makena doesn't say, "AWHHH, she's so cute" referring to Kamryn in her oh so southern voice! She is so proud of her and Kamryn just adores her as well.




There is such a special dynamic between sisters, or maybe it's just that I look at it that way because I never had a sister. Don't get me wrong, I have the sweetest little brother ever and I'd never trade him in for a sister! But, I've always wondered what it would be like to have a sister. Growing up I had a couple of girlfriends that were my sisters....or at least that's what we told others. 'Karen & Sharon'- people would ask if we were twins...we would of course answer "YES!" And, Sheila and I had several believing she was my little sister. I see the special relationships (as adults) between my mother-in-law and her 3 sisters, Matt's step mom and her sisters, and all my friends that have sisters. My mother had a little sister, Sharon-my namesake, who passed away at the tender age of 2yrs. due to a sudden illness. Mom and I know she would have been as close to us as we are to each other. My mom grew up with 3 great brothers, my dad had 1 brother, I grew up with a brother, and Matt grew up with 2 brothers. Would I ever have girls in my life? God had his plan in motion... I have three beautiful girls to attest to that! And, two of the best sisters-in-law around! Not to mention all of my aunts by marriage and girl cousins.

(Although Hannah is not big into babies.... she adores Kamryn beyond words. What a great role model Makena and Kamryn will have in Hannah!)



I watch Makena daily taking care of Kamryn and Hannah tending to both of them in such a big sister kind of way! How blessed they are to have one another. How fortunate I am to get to experience in it with them! And, though I know that we will go through some typical sister conflicts for many years to come, my greatest wish for them as sisters is that they will be there for each other in the end. I hope that they will always trust in each other and be able to share in all the joys and hardships of life.

(No one has to wonder who Makena's sister is on the soccer field....she is constantly yelling, "That's my sissy, that's my sissy!")

Now, go hug your sisters and tell them how much you love them!
(You can only imagine what Kamryn must be thinking here....)(Making lots of memories with my sissy!)

4 comments:

Angie said...

Sisters are awesome!

You NEVER would have traded your brother in? I can think of many times that I would have been very happy to see my brother go. He had to grow out of that phase, which lasted about 10 years! Amy's daughter tells her all of the time that such and such wouldn't happen if they'd just had a girl baby instead of a boy. Somehow she thinks that she wouldn't fight with a sister. Then Amy pulls out her stack of books from when she was little that I ruined by drawing on every page. So maybe sisters aren't perfect!

Anonymous said...

My sisters are all treasures to me. I love all 4 of them very much and wish we lived close instead of being spread from one corner of America to the other.

However, when I was young I would have much prefered being an only child. I would have given up any one of them in a heartbeat. The minute I left home that changed.

By the way...I love my brother too but it's just not the same.

Tina said...

Sharon, I love your blog about sisters. I was an only child and always longed for a sibling to share with. I had a sister that died 4 days after she was born. I still think to this day what it would be like. I love my boys but God knew what he was doing when he gave me Lexi, all I have wanted is to have the relationship with my daugther as I with my mom. You are so blessed!!!

Carman said...

Sharon-
That is such a sweet entry about sisters. I also wondered what it would be like to have a sister, as I had a brother only. I feel so fortunate that I am getting to experience this new chapter of sisterhood with my girls.